- RUSSIA : Court Sets One Pussy Rioter Free; Fame Brings 70 Year Closure For Eurovision Folk Singer.
- UZBEKISTAN: 23 Aug UPDATE: GooGoosha Responds To Critics; Ruthless Dictator's Daughter Seeks Fame With Pop Career.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- RUSSIA / CZECH REP : 30 Dec UPDATE: Probe Begins Of Moscow Plane Crash That Killed 5, Injured 3.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- ARGENTINA: Bond Appeal Surging On Exports And Debt Restructure; Beating Ukraine For Yield For Now.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
17 April 2013
USA / EU/ MACRO ECONOMICS / ACADEMICS: 18 April UPDATE: Rogoff/Reinhart Admit Major Error In 2010 Paper; Doctoral Student Herndon Uncovered Errors.
For the macroeconomics wonks, geeks and nerds out there...here's an interesting but somewhat technical news item.
Harvard economists Kenneth Rogoff (above) and Carmen Reinhart admitted making mistakes in a 2010 paper...'Growth in a time of Debt'...that strongly argued for fiscal cutbacks.
The paper was widely cited by USA Tea Party conservatives...and EU austerity advocates.
The 2 authors admit they left some critical date out of their calculations.
The error was uncovered by 3 economists at UMass/Amherst.
Despite the errors...Rogoff and Reinhart still defend the paper's central message.
FOR MORE DETAILS On: Thomas Herndon...the econ doctoral student who spotted the paper's glaring errors.