- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA : Siberian Cult Leader Rudnev Jailed For Raping Dozens Of Followers.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- UKRAINE : Thousands Protest In Kyiv For Yulia, Against Yanukovych; Some Injured In Clashes.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- MEXICO : Shocking Details Emerge About Mayor's Abduction Before Execution; 19 Bodies Found In Chihuahua State.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
17 April 2013
USA / EU/ MACRO ECONOMICS / ACADEMICS: 18 April UPDATE: Rogoff/Reinhart Admit Major Error In 2010 Paper; Doctoral Student Herndon Uncovered Errors.
For the macroeconomics wonks, geeks and nerds out there...here's an interesting but somewhat technical news item.
Harvard economists Kenneth Rogoff (above) and Carmen Reinhart admitted making mistakes in a 2010 paper...'Growth in a time of Debt'...that strongly argued for fiscal cutbacks.
The paper was widely cited by USA Tea Party conservatives...and EU austerity advocates.
The 2 authors admit they left some critical date out of their calculations.
The error was uncovered by 3 economists at UMass/Amherst.
Despite the errors...Rogoff and Reinhart still defend the paper's central message.
FOR MORE DETAILS On: Thomas Herndon...the econ doctoral student who spotted the paper's glaring errors.