- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- BRASIL / COLOMBIA / UKRAINE: 13 Sept. UPDATE: Bettors' Favorite Odessa An Also Ran In Miss Universe Contest.
17 April 2013
USA / EU/ MACRO ECONOMICS / ACADEMICS: 18 April UPDATE: Rogoff/Reinhart Admit Major Error In 2010 Paper; Doctoral Student Herndon Uncovered Errors.
For the macroeconomics wonks, geeks and nerds out there...here's an interesting but somewhat technical news item.
Harvard economists Kenneth Rogoff (above) and Carmen Reinhart admitted making mistakes in a 2010 paper...'Growth in a time of Debt'...that strongly argued for fiscal cutbacks.
The paper was widely cited by USA Tea Party conservatives...and EU austerity advocates.
The 2 authors admit they left some critical date out of their calculations.
The error was uncovered by 3 economists at UMass/Amherst.
Despite the errors...Rogoff and Reinhart still defend the paper's central message.
FOR MORE DETAILS On: Thomas Herndon...the econ doctoral student who spotted the paper's glaring errors.