- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
21 February 2013
USA / MARITIME DEFENSE: New $37 Billion Navy Littoral Ships...Face Chopping Block.
In 2010...the USA's Navy ordered 2 versions of the Littoral Combat ship to be built...from 2 different shipyards...Lockheed and Austal.
One is very traditional looking...while the other version is aluminum and has been called a 'Star Trek' spaceship.
Littorals/LCS... are designed for shallow waters...and fast speeds...up to 40 knots.
Some detractors in the Navy call them 'little crappy ships.'
But the price to build both...$37 billion...was huge.
And...now...that huge sum is likely to feel the chopping block...as sequester and austerity finally hit the USA's sacred cow...defense.