- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
13 January 2012
EUROZONE / FRANCE / AUSTRIA : 14 Jan UPDATE: S/P Cuts Paris, 8 Others Credit Ratings; Berlin Remains AAA.
Those nasty, unsettling rumors...were true.
France was stripped of its AAA rating...downgraded by one notch...equal to the USA's.
All day there was widespread speculation that...S/P...that often discredited but still 400 pound gorilla and big bad credit-ratings agency...was downgrading many eurozone nations... including France and Austria.
Along with an apparent Greece impasse..the rumors sent the euro...down again...after it had successfully gained traction yesterday.
S/P had reviewed and threatened France and 8 other nations with a 2-notch ratings cut before Xmas. Also included were Italy, Portugal, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Ireland and Malta.
It also warned that 6 nations might suffer a one notch downgrade: Austria, Germany, Finland Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.
But...Germany will keep its AAA rating.
S/P downgraded Austria's AAA by one notch...with Spain and Italy lowered 2 levels.
Also downgraded were Slovakia, Slovenia and Malta.
Portugal and Cyprus were reduced to the 'junk' level.
The downgrades...especially France's...weaken the eurozone bailout fund's overall credit rating.
The 2 other major ratings agencies...Moody's and Fitch...have yet to weigh in on the eurozone.
These new setbacks come right after the ECB's Draghi had begun singing the praises of his 3-year bank loan program...because Spain and Italy successfully sold billions in new bonds...at significantly lower rates.