- BULGARIA / RUSSIA : Moscow Hits Sofia With $1.3 Billion Claim For Failed Nuke.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA/ FRANCE : Actor Depardieu Parties With Dictator Kadyrov.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- MEXICO / USA: Despite Violence, Border Factories Bloom.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
03 November 2011
"Wherever the olive tree grows, you won't find much tax being collected," says a Spanish mayor.
An Austrian economist reports that Italy's shadow economy was 22.3% of GDP; Spain...19.3%; Portugal...19.2% and Greece...25.1%.
In the USA...the shadow economy was 7.2% of GDP.
An Italian official estimates Italy's "phantom" or undeclared income at $320 billion.
Greece may be losing as much as $30bn annually to tax evasion.
Yet only Spain seems to be successful in going after tax cheaters.
Last year...Spain took in more than $13bn from evaders...23% more than in 2009.