- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- VENEZUELA: Growing As Hub For Drug Shipments.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- MEXICO: Police Investigating Death of Young American Woman.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
03 November 2011
"Wherever the olive tree grows, you won't find much tax being collected," says a Spanish mayor.
An Austrian economist reports that Italy's shadow economy was 22.3% of GDP; Spain...19.3%; Portugal...19.2% and Greece...25.1%.
In the USA...the shadow economy was 7.2% of GDP.
An Italian official estimates Italy's "phantom" or undeclared income at $320 billion.
Greece may be losing as much as $30bn annually to tax evasion.
Yet only Spain seems to be successful in going after tax cheaters.
Last year...Spain took in more than $13bn from evaders...23% more than in 2009.