- CHINA / ENVIRONMENT: Beijing Sets New Standard For...Dense Deadly Smog.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL: More Headaches For Dilma : Her VP's In-Law On Playboy Cover...And Chief Aide's Dubious Payment.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- POLAND: C.Bank To Strengthen Zloty By Selling Euros.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- BRASIL: Documentary About Rio Garbage Dump... Up For Oscar.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
07 May 2013
POLAND : 08 May UPDATE: Talisman And Marathon Exit Shale Search; Shale Gas Fracking Proceeds...Despite Residents' Fears.
Talisman Energy and Marathon Oil have announced they are exiting their search for shale gas in Poland.
But Ireland-based San Leon Energy said it would develop Talisman's 3 Baltic basin interests.
In 2012...Exxon pulled-out from Poland...after disappointing drilling results there.
Chevron still employs 30 people in Warsaw.
But Polish officials are still counting on the USA's fracking technique to unleash new sources of nat gas and oil...freeing their nation from Russian energy dependence.
Some 30 energy companies are already seeking shale gas.
But in the EU...Bulgaria and France have outlawed the controversial technique.
Many rural residents in Poland fear fracking's heavy reliance on water will ruin their lands.
And...by law...residents don't hold any mineral rights...and thus have 'no skin in the game.'
TO WATCH : 7:55 Video report with transcript.