- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
16 April 2013
ARGENTINA : The Dollar Hungry Hunt For Greenbacks In Buenos Aires; Bitcoins Explore LatAm Exposure.
If you are an adrenaline-fueled money junkie...but won't play the volatile virtual bitcoin realm or suddenly sagging gold market...you can always take your greenbacks to Argentina...and exchange them for pesos.
The so-called blue market/illegal returns there can be a staggering 69% over the official rate.
And...it's all done in a cloak and dagger atmosphere...that rivals Cuba today or the Soviet Union in the bad old days.
Thanks to President Cristina Fernandez's severe dollar controls...and rampant inflation estimated at 20-30%...the currency black market is thriving underground in Buenos Aires.
But consider...that buying or selling pesos on the 'blue market' is treated there as an act of 'terrorism'...and carries a maximum prison sentence of 8 years.
Inflation also has citizens begging for larger bills...because the biggest...the 100 peso note...no longer buys much.
: In an effort to lure Argentine savers...severely distressed by capital controls and inflation...a USA company will open a bitcoin exchange office in BA...where there is growing interest...in the 'gold for nerds.'