- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
02 March 2013
CUBA / VENEZUELA : Chavez Revealed On Chemo; Chavez/Castro Connection Called Cubazuela.
Venezuela VP Maduro announced that since mid-January ailing President Hugo Chavez has been undergoing 'tough' chemotherapy treatment in a sealed-off wing of a Caracas military hospital...and 'continues to battle for his life.'
Of course...there have been rumors again that Chavez had died.
They were fed by Twitter, Spain's conservative ABC newspaper, Colombia's Radio Caracol and especially Panama's former OAS official...who claimed Hugo was taken off life support after being declared brain dead.
Today's WSJ featured a fascinating backgrounder by Jose de Cordoba on the Hugo Chavez/Fidel Castro relationship....and the future of Cubazuela.
He writes that Fidel saw a young impressionable Hugo as an easy mark...for access to cheap oil.
Some estimate that Venezuela provides 22% of Cuba's GDP in over 300 direct and indirect deals...amounting to some $10 billion annually since 2007.
Chavez opponents have long lamented and resented Chavez's Cuba handlers...who they claim are defacto running the government.
Observers marvel at how a small poor country came to run a much richer larger nation.
One likens it to...Puerto Rico running the USA.