- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA : Siberian Cult Leader Rudnev Jailed For Raping Dozens Of Followers.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- UKRAINE : Thousands Protest In Kyiv For Yulia, Against Yanukovych; Some Injured In Clashes.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- MEXICO : Shocking Details Emerge About Mayor's Abduction Before Execution; 19 Bodies Found In Chihuahua State.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
15 March 2013
AUSTIN / ITALY / MUSIC : SXSW Features Latin Music; Jovanotti Sweats And Shines.
Last night...for the first time in over a decade...this newsblog's editor attended a SXSW outdoor concert.
It was free...and enjoyable...despite the annoying sea of cellphones held up to record the event...and block views.
It featured 4 Latin bands...attracting the many Mexicans...and Spanish speakers...living in the chimba Austin area.
There was Bajofondo from Argentina...plus Molotov and Cafe Tacuba from Mexico.
The opening act didn't sing in Spanish...but stole the night.
It was the Italian...Jovanotti.
For 45 minutes...under a broiling sun...the former DJ named Lorenzo Cherubini...aka... Jovanotti...brought unbelievable energy and enthusiasm to Austin...jumping around like a thin and lovable grasshopper/cavalletta.
It's the best live performance this editor has experienced in Austin since a Gilberto Gil concert...in the late 90's.
Recently...I asked a samba loving friend from Salvador, Bahia...what artist she was listening to.
In Italia...he sells out 80,000 fan concerts....and he was SXSW's opening act!
Following Jovanotti...Bajofondo delivered a short set...of course, heavy with tango.
But...sorry Pope Francis...this editor is not yet a fan of tango music.
Nor...of the loud, angry, negative tunes delivered by Molotov...that shouted and blared Puto and Chinga tu Padre.
The crowd loved it...but Molotov's hard rock and lyrics were loud enough to send this editor home...well before Cafe Tacuba had even emerged.
Most of the concert was recorded by the USA's NPR....but NOT Jovanotti!
Que lastima! Que bobos!
TO HEAR/WATCH: The editor's favorite...get happy/samba beat...Jovanotti song; 4:19...with images.
TO HEAR: 5:39 Video... Jovanotti's Tensione Evolutiva.
TO HEAR: 5:08 Bajofondo's Lluvia...with static image.