- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
19 February 2013
CUBA / BRASIL: Dissident Blogger Yoani Sanchez Escapes La Habana...Only To Be Booed And Mugged In Bahia.
Never underestimate the long reach of Cuba's clever Castro brothers.
After 20 futile attempts...dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez , 37...was finally allowed to leave Cuba...for the first time in over a decade.
She headed off on an exhausting 80 day...12 nation tour...thanks to recent changes in a 50 year old Cuban travel law.
Sanchez's first stop was in Salvador, Bahia...to see a documentary she had a part in.
There was was booed by 4 dozen pro-Castro protesters...who forced the screening to be canceled.
One even grabbed her hair.
Later... she was able to address the crowd...for about 45 minutes.
Brasil's Veja magazine claims her rude reception was organized by the Cuban embassy.
And...probably more rude receptions...courtesy of the Castro hermanos.