- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
17 November 2011
EUROZONE / SPAIN / GERMANY / FRANCE : Madrid's Yield Surges Because...The 'Markets' Just Don't Believe! Merkel And Sarkozy Quarrel.
Spain managed to sell E3.56bn $4.8bn of 10-year benchmark at almost 7%...a dangerous and almost unsustainable rate...as demand waned.
It was Spain's highest rate since the euro’s creation.
Last month...it sold 10 year bonds...due in April 2021...at 5.433%.
An economist said: “This is not necessarily due to Spain itself but more to the lack of a solution at the European level.”
Rising bond yields for the Netherlands, Finland and Austria show that investors still doubt the eurozone will survive the debt crisis.
Germany and France continue to squabble over the role of the ECB.
France and others want the ECB to print money...and prop up sovereign bonds...with continued buying.
Germany insists on austerity...and spending overhauls...and only permits spurts of ECB purchases...because it dreads inflation.
Last week in the NYT...a Carnegie economist said: "I understand the German fetish with inflation...but that's increasingly wearing thin."