- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
29 October 2011
Popular former 2 term President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, 66, has been diagnosed with throat cancer...and will immediately undergo outpatient chemo treatments in Sao Paulo.
The doctors say the cancer was caught early...and hadn't spread.
Lula left office almost 11 months ago...with about 87% approval.
He helped lift 21 million out of poverty...and reduced Brasil's dread inflation by more than half.
A Sao Paulo cafe employee reacted: "...this makes me sad. The things he did helped me a lot.
If he could be re-elected again, I would vote for him, smiling."
But it puts Lula's return...and even his role in future politics...into question.