- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA : Siberian Cult Leader Rudnev Jailed For Raping Dozens Of Followers.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- UKRAINE : Thousands Protest In Kyiv For Yulia, Against Yanukovych; Some Injured In Clashes.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- MEXICO : Shocking Details Emerge About Mayor's Abduction Before Execution; 19 Bodies Found In Chihuahua State.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
23 February 2011
Rio's Gramacho Municipal Landfill with its 5,000 "catadores"/trash pickers is displayed in all its stinky glory in a documentary nominated for an Oscar on 27 Feb.
In "Waste Land", workers at Brazil's largest landfill Jardim Gramacho sort through tons of garbage looking for recyclable scraps to sell.
Director Lucy Walker and photog Vik Muniz took photos of workers in epic poses that drew from their own experiences like Jacques-Louis David's "The Death of Marat" and Pablo Picasso's "Woman Ironing."
The documentary won the Sundance Film Festival Audience Award for Best World Cinema Documentary and nearly two dozen other film festival awards.