- RUSSIA : Court Sets One Pussy Rioter Free; Fame Brings 70 Year Closure For Eurovision Folk Singer.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- UZBEKISTAN: 23 Aug UPDATE: GooGoosha Responds To Critics; Ruthless Dictator's Daughter Seeks Fame With Pop Career.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- RUSSIA / CZECH REP : 30 Dec UPDATE: Probe Begins Of Moscow Plane Crash That Killed 5, Injured 3.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- ARGENTINA: Bond Appeal Surging On Exports And Debt Restructure; Beating Ukraine For Yield For Now.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
23 February 2011
Rio's Gramacho Municipal Landfill with its 5,000 "catadores"/trash pickers is displayed in all its stinky glory in a documentary nominated for an Oscar on 27 Feb.
In "Waste Land", workers at Brazil's largest landfill Jardim Gramacho sort through tons of garbage looking for recyclable scraps to sell.
Director Lucy Walker and photog Vik Muniz took photos of workers in epic poses that drew from their own experiences like Jacques-Louis David's "The Death of Marat" and Pablo Picasso's "Woman Ironing."
The documentary won the Sundance Film Festival Audience Award for Best World Cinema Documentary and nearly two dozen other film festival awards.