- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
23 February 2011
Rio's Gramacho Municipal Landfill with its 5,000 "catadores"/trash pickers is displayed in all its stinky glory in a documentary nominated for an Oscar on 27 Feb.
In "Waste Land", workers at Brazil's largest landfill Jardim Gramacho sort through tons of garbage looking for recyclable scraps to sell.
Director Lucy Walker and photog Vik Muniz took photos of workers in epic poses that drew from their own experiences like Jacques-Louis David's "The Death of Marat" and Pablo Picasso's "Woman Ironing."
The documentary won the Sundance Film Festival Audience Award for Best World Cinema Documentary and nearly two dozen other film festival awards.