- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA : Siberian Cult Leader Rudnev Jailed For Raping Dozens Of Followers.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- UKRAINE : Thousands Protest In Kyiv For Yulia, Against Yanukovych; Some Injured In Clashes.
- MEXICO : Shocking Details Emerge About Mayor's Abduction Before Execution; 19 Bodies Found In Chihuahua State.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
05 May 2011
The USA and Romania struck a deal to deploy as many as 40-50 Sm-3 missile interceptors at the Caracal Air base near Deveselu in far southern Romania.
The deal is testing relations with Moscow and it is asking for "safeguards" because it fears the missiles could be turned against Russia's nuclear force.
The USA has assured Moscow that the missiles pose no threat.
"We have good relations with Russia. We have just ratified the New START treaty, we are working together on various other issues," Undersecretary of State Ellen Tauscher told Romanian lawmakers. "It is a system that will defend NATO and, if Russia chooses to work with us in a cooperative manner, the system will defend Russia, too."