01 November 2010

BRASIL: No Surprize -- Rousseff Triumphs; First Female President.

LATIMES/      With an estimate 56% of the vote, President Lula's hand-picked successor Dilma Rousseff triumphed over conservative Jose Serra and will soon be Brasil's first female president.
   "There was no good reason to vote against her. People throughout society are better off and they feel it," said professor Terry McCoy. "That made it difficult for Serra."
    “If it were only about experience I would never vote for her,” said electrician Denilson Quintino,“But she has a good team behind her. Today the country is much better off because of the Lula government. He did more for me than any other president.” (NYT)

   After election results were announced, Rousseff observed : "The joy I feel with this victory today is mixed with the emotion of his farewell. I know that a leader like Lula will never be away from his people. I will always be able to knock on his door and I'm sure that it will always will be open."