- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- POLAND: Sopot's Famous Crazy, Crooked House; Communist Board Game Goes Multilingual.
- MEXICO / CANADA : 3 Feb UPDATE: Sheila McNabb's Husband Thanks Canada As She Recovers From Surgery After Mazatlan Beating.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- HUNGARY : 10,000 Protest Against Jobbiks...In Budapest.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
27 February 2013
MEXICO / USA : 03 March UPDATE: Gordillo's Calif. Real Estate Revealed; Powerful Teachers Union Chief Gordillo Arrested.
The real values of jailed teacher's union head Elba Esther Gordillo USA assets are finally being revealed.
Gordillo, 68...was arrested Tuesday...one day after President Enrique Pena Nieto signed a new law reforming Mexico's education system
Gordillo...aka La Maestra/the Teacher...longtime leader of the powerful 1.5 million member teachers union...was arrested for corruption.
The old education system allowed teaching jobs to be sold...or inherited.
Officials charge that Gordillo embezzled 2 billion pesos/$160-200 million from her union...that she used to pay for $17,000 in plastic surgery, to buy 2 properties in an exclusive gated San Diego neighborhood currently valued at $9 million, to chart private planes...to pay-off $3 million in credit card charges at a high end USA department store...and to hide in Swiss and Liechtenstein bank accounts.
She also owned several high end Mexico City apartments.
If convicted...she could face 30 years in prison....although she might be permitted house arrest when she turns 70.
Because of several illnesses...she was transferred to another jail.
Observers say Gordillo's arrest may be President Pena Nieto's way of warning other powerful union bosses to curb their abuses...and compromise on new reforms.
They believe Pemex union chief Romero Deschamps could be next to feel the heat.
EPN won the presidency by only 39%.