- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- VENEZUELA: Growing As Hub For Drug Shipments.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
27 February 2013
MEXICO / USA : 03 March UPDATE: Gordillo's Calif. Real Estate Revealed; Powerful Teachers Union Chief Gordillo Arrested.
The real values of jailed teacher's union head Elba Esther Gordillo USA assets are finally being revealed.
Gordillo, 68...was arrested Tuesday...one day after President Enrique Pena Nieto signed a new law reforming Mexico's education system
Gordillo...aka La Maestra/the Teacher...longtime leader of the powerful 1.5 million member teachers union...was arrested for corruption.
The old education system allowed teaching jobs to be sold...or inherited.
Officials charge that Gordillo embezzled 2 billion pesos/$160-200 million from her union...that she used to pay for $17,000 in plastic surgery, to buy 2 properties in an exclusive gated San Diego neighborhood currently valued at $9 million, to chart private planes...to pay-off $3 million in credit card charges at a high end USA department store...and to hide in Swiss and Liechtenstein bank accounts.
She also owned several high end Mexico City apartments.
If convicted...she could face 30 years in prison....although she might be permitted house arrest when she turns 70.
Because of several illnesses...she was transferred to another jail.
Observers say Gordillo's arrest may be President Pena Nieto's way of warning other powerful union bosses to curb their abuses...and compromise on new reforms.
They believe Pemex union chief Romero Deschamps could be next to feel the heat.
EPN won the presidency by only 39%.