- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
27 February 2013
BULGARIA / CZECH REP / AUSTRIA: Sofia Lowers Electric Rate...Hoping To Stop Angry Protests.
After weeks of nationwide protests...and the fall of its government...the parliament in Sofia will reduce a controversial July electricity rate increase...from 13% to 8%...hoping to dampen the growing anger over it and other austerity measures.
The protests reportedly even sent fallen PM Borisov into the hospital with high blood pressure.
3 self-immolations have also spooked the government.
New elections are scheduled for May.
Anger has also been aimed at the 2 Czech...and one Austrian firms that distribute privatized electricity.
Bulgaria has the second lowest consumer electric rate in Europe...but also low average wages and living standards.