- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- HUMOR : Horrible Yearbook FOTOS Unearthed.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- MEXICO / AZERBAIJAN : 26 Jan UPDATE: Controversial Azeri Statue Moved To Seedy Warehouse; Baku Is Still Upset.
- RUSSIA : Wanted For 15 Years...Cop Turned Serial Killer...Caught In Vladivostok.
- RUSSIA : Drunk's Death Scene Dance...Goes Viral...Offends Many.
- GERMANY / FRANCE / SHIPPING / IMAGES : World's Largest Container Ship Docks In Hamburg.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
07 January 2013
BRASIL / MEXICO : Payroll Loans Flourish For Banks...But May Threaten Consumers.
Relatively new...and usually small...but rapidly growing...consumer payroll loans...are subtracted directly from emplyment checks...and seen by banks as a new source of profit.
While low risk in themselves...they could cause defaults in other types of debt.
In 12 months ending September...in Brasil...payroll loans increased by 16.5%...to $88 billion...while Mexico saw a 34% increase...to $9 billion.
The interest rate charged in Brasil is 20%...lower than most credit cards.
In Mexico...the interest rate charged is higher... at around 35%.
Banks see it as an easy...and safe way...to get under served new customers.