- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
23 February 2012
RUSSIA : Putin Packs Stadium...In Rare Campaign Appearance.
It was a case of 'Puting' at its best...as some 80,000 packed a Moscow outdoor stadium... to hear PM Putin deliver an 8 minute 'stem winder' campaign speech before many adoring...and some forced to attend...supporters.
Putin's speech had a strong patriotic/nationalistic tone...even invoking Napoleon's failed 1812 invasion and Hitler's defeat.
“We will defend her (Russia) through all time and forever,” he said. “We will never allow anyone to interfere in our internal affairs, we will not allow someone to impose their will on us, because we have our own will! It has helped us to conquer! We are a victorious people! It is in our genes, in our genetic code!”
It was a highly visible show of force for Putin...to offset the recent numerous massive protests of his opposition.
However...he failed to announce any specific reforms...but also stopped short of ridiculing and insulting the growing middle class opposition forces.
“We are afraid of rebellions,”a woman supporter, 46, told the NYTimes. “We are afraid of bloodshed because we all have children. We have near and dear who we worry about. We want stability. I think stability can only come with Vladimir Vladimirovich.”
TO SEE 10x FOTOS: