- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
17 December 2011
With many products scarce...like powdered milk, coffee and cooking oils...President Hugo Chavez has rolled back previous policies that gave him total economic control...and he has been forced again to work with foreign companies he once accused of price-gouging...to produce food staples.
“Even my friends who work at supermarkets sometimes can’t get hold of products,” said one housewife.
The government has agreed to joint ventures to produce more corn flour, rice, pasta and oatmeal.
Chavez has seized assets of 1,045 companies since 1999...costing at least $9.9bn for compensation...with disputed claims for $20bn remaining.