- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
31 December 2011
Considering their histories...most South American nations are understandably nervous about inflation.
But...Montevideo's central bank drastically raised its benchmark rate...by 75 bps...to 8.75%...as inflation continued to roar ahead.
The small nation across the Rio Plata/River Plate from Buenos Aires...where inflation is unofficially 25% or higher annually...wants to prune its growth.
In November...inflation there jumped to 8.4% from 7.9% in October.
The central bank’s target inflation range is a more modest 4% to 6%.