- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
14 December 2011
BRASIL : 16 Dec UPDATE: Rio Prosecutor Wants $10.7 Billion Damages From Chevron/Transocean For Oil Spill; Also Activity Suspension; Investors View Lawsuit Warily.
A Rio state federal prosecutor is telling Chevron and Transocean to suspend all activity and pay 20bn reais/$10.7bn in damages after a 3,000 bbls oil spill last month...240 miles off Rio's coast.
“Chevron and Transocean weren’t capable of controlling the damages from a spill of 3,000 barrels of oil, which proves a lack of environmental planning and management,” said the Campos official.
Chevron is Brasil's the number 3 oil producer...after Petrobras and Shell. It's assets there are estimated at $4.2 bn.
Chevron continues to claim Rio is wildly overreacting... and potentially scaring other drillers from taking the risk of exploring the record deep subsalt region.
Investors have been expected to invest more than $600bn to develop the subsalt.
For More Details...See Past Post/Link: