- CHINA / ENVIRONMENT: Beijing Sets New Standard For...Dense Deadly Smog.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL: More Headaches For Dilma : Her VP's In-Law On Playboy Cover...And Chief Aide's Dubious Payment.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- POLAND: C.Bank To Strengthen Zloty By Selling Euros.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- BRASIL: Documentary About Rio Garbage Dump... Up For Oscar.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- RUSSIA : Drunk's Death Scene Dance...Goes Viral...Offends Many.
02 May 2013
ECB / EUROZONE : Draghi Cuts Benchmark To Record Low 0.5%.
Many economists predicted it...and the ECB's Mario Draghi made it come true.
The ECB's new benchmark rate is 0.5%...down 25 bps from 0.75%.
It's the bank's first rate cut in 10 months.
Draghi is trying to stimulate growth...after new stats indicated that manufacturing has contracted in the zone's 17 nations...including powerhouse Germany.
Yesterday...the USA's Federal Reserve said it would continue to buy $85 billion in bonds monthly...to further drive down long term interest rates.
Eurozone inflation is at a 3-year low.
Draghi hinted that rates could go lower if necessary...possibly even negative deposit rates.