- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
20 February 2013
BRASIL / GERMANY : Beleaguered Billionaire Batista Seeks Buyer For Gold Biz.
Poor Eike Batista.
If you can call a man still worth $10 billion...poor.
But...Batista, 56...is rumored to be trying to sell his gold company...AUX...as well as a controlling stake in his energy company MPX...to German utility EON...for $5 billion.
Since March...Batista's net worth has plummeted by a staggering 71%...from $34.5 billion...to $10.1 billion today.
Publicity hog Batista has long lusted to brag about being the globe's richest man.
Instead...he has demonstrated only a flair for exploration...not for following-up with production.
And...for losing vast amounts of paper wealth.
Sadly for Batista...Brasil is no longer foreign investors' flavor of the month.