- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- BRASIL / COLOMBIA / UKRAINE: 13 Sept. UPDATE: Bettors' Favorite Odessa An Also Ran In Miss Universe Contest.
24 January 2013
VENEZUELA : Caracas Plans Crackdown On Clunker Car Inflation Hedge.
With annual inflation of over 20% for over a decade...Venezuelans have relied on used and new cars...to keep ahead of the curve.
Instead of losing value...when a car is driven off a Caracas lot...it's value surges.
An analyst there reports...'Cars gain value instead of depreciating because of a supply and demand crisis. In Venezuela we buy cars to protect our wealth.'
Now...the Chavista congress has proposed a law that fixes prices for used and new cars at 2009 levels.
Venezuela has the world's 3rd highest inflation rate.
A new devaluation of the currency has been predicted by many observers...but the uncertain condition of President Hugo Chavez's health...has delayed many monetary policies.