- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : 30 May UPDATE: Premiere Of Narco Pablo Escobar Telenovela...Sets Viewer Record.
- RUSSIA : Aeroflot Fires Attendant...For Posting Middle Finger Salute Foto.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- GUATEMALA : Gen. Rios Montt Faces Another Massacre Trial.
- ITALY : Ruby Heartstealer Testifies About Bunga Bunga Parties at Milano Trial.
- BRASIL: Footballer De Souza's Model Mistress Murder Trial Begins.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
24 January 2013
VENEZUELA : Caracas Plans Crackdown On Clunker Car Inflation Hedge.
With annual inflation of over 20% for over a decade...Venezuelans have relied on used and new cars...to keep ahead of the curve.
Instead of losing value...when a car is driven off a Caracas lot...it's value surges.
An analyst there reports...'Cars gain value instead of depreciating because of a supply and demand crisis. In Venezuela we buy cars to protect our wealth.'
Now...the Chavista congress has proposed a law that fixes prices for used and new cars at 2009 levels.
Venezuela has the world's 3rd highest inflation rate.
A new devaluation of the currency has been predicted by many observers...but the uncertain condition of President Hugo Chavez's health...has delayed many monetary policies.