- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
06 November 2012
RUSSIA : 08 Nov UPDATE : ANALYSIS: Putin Fires Defense Minister Serdyukov During Corruption Probe; Failed Loyalty To Putin Ally Zubkov...Blamed.
In a surprising and swift move...President Vlad Putin axed his loyal Defense Minister of 6 years...Anatoly Serdyukov (above)...over a growing corruption scandal in his ministry.
Putin announced the sacking on TV...replacing Serdyukov with another loyal ally...Sergei Shoigu, 57 (Below).
Observers now speculate that Serdyukov erred by neglecting his patron and close Putin ally...Viktor Zubkov, 71...after the minister's marriage to Zubkov's daughter faltered.
It seems he broke the oath of loyalty to family and party.
Conveniently in October...a state controlled military contractor was raided in an investigation over the sale and loss of assets valued at $100 million.
Serdyukov was also caught-up in an embarrassing liaison with a female bureaucrat...conducted in a lavishly furnished apartment.
A former furniture store manager...Serdyukov, 50...had reportedly made enemies among the military and contractors because of brutal cost cutting.
He cut the armed forces by 300,000, reduced the officers corps by 40%...and slashed the number of generals and admirals by nearly 50%.
Along with Putin...he possessed nuclear launch codes...and controlled the lucrative 10 year...$729 billion...projected Russian defense budget.