- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
27 May 2012
PERU / EUROZONE / SPAIN / PORTUGAL : 4 Interesting NYTimes Reports.
Visitors wanting to read 3 of the 4 articles in today's NYTIMES must use some of their 10 free monthly paywall visits to access them.
PERU: Relatively new NYT LatAm reporter...William Neuman...writes about the Shining Path narco rebels...and their desire to reinvent themselves into a political party. Also how many youths there don't know about left and right's human rights abuses of the past...and the 4,000 mass graves still undiscovered there.
SPAIN: Suzanne Daley has an excellent piece on shrinking credit lines for small businesses...as 45 regional banks have dwindled to 13.
EUROZONE : Jeff Sommer's fascinating column is about Ireland's betting website INTRADE...where gamblers/crowd sourcing currently predict the odds of a 2012 Grexit at 41.7%...60% by end of 2013...and 68.7% by 2014.
It also puts President Obama's chances at re-election...at 57.1%
PORTUGAL: Finally...Frank Bruni has a travel piece about Lisboa/Lisbon.
Lisboa is one of this editor's favorite cities.
It is hilly like SF, Ca...and like the Bay Area...has a distinct nautical feel.
Many big ships are refitted there...and must pass under its magnificent bridge...that so resembles the SFBay's Golden Gate...which celebrates 75 years this month.