- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : 30 May UPDATE: Premiere Of Narco Pablo Escobar Telenovela...Sets Viewer Record.
- RUSSIA : Aeroflot Fires Attendant...For Posting Middle Finger Salute Foto.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- ITALY : Ruby Heartstealer Testifies About Bunga Bunga Parties at Milano Trial.
- BRASIL: Footballer De Souza's Model Mistress Murder Trial Begins.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
- SERBIA / HUMOR : TV Show Pranks PM...With X Rated View.
27 May 2012
PERU / EUROZONE / SPAIN / PORTUGAL : 4 Interesting NYTimes Reports.
Visitors wanting to read 3 of the 4 articles in today's NYTIMES must use some of their 10 free monthly paywall visits to access them.
PERU: Relatively new NYT LatAm reporter...William Neuman...writes about the Shining Path narco rebels...and their desire to reinvent themselves into a political party. Also how many youths there don't know about left and right's human rights abuses of the past...and the 4,000 mass graves still undiscovered there.
SPAIN: Suzanne Daley has an excellent piece on shrinking credit lines for small businesses...as 45 regional banks have dwindled to 13.
EUROZONE : Jeff Sommer's fascinating column is about Ireland's betting website INTRADE...where gamblers/crowd sourcing currently predict the odds of a 2012 Grexit at 41.7%...60% by end of 2013...and 68.7% by 2014.
It also puts President Obama's chances at re-election...at 57.1%
PORTUGAL: Finally...Frank Bruni has a travel piece about Lisboa/Lisbon.
Lisboa is one of this editor's favorite cities.
It is hilly like SF, Ca...and like the Bay Area...has a distinct nautical feel.
Many big ships are refitted there...and must pass under its magnificent bridge...that so resembles the SFBay's Golden Gate...which celebrates 75 years this month.