- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- SERBIA / HUMOR : TV Show Pranks PM...With X Rated View.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
05 January 2012
HUNGARY : Is Orban Humbled Enough By Forint Slide, Bond Rate Surge...To Change Controversial C.Bank Laws?
It's taken a precipitous decline of Hungary's forint...and a steep increase on its bond yields... to 9.96%...to get government officials willing to discuss its controversial central bank law...
that had investors dumping bonds...and the EU backing away from providing a safety net loan.
PM Viktor Orban has condemned meddling by outsiders and strings attached to any assistance.
He says the nation has enough reserves to meet debt rollover...for Q1.
But Orban's game of 'chicken' with the EU over c.bank control...may be nearing an end.
Hungary's resistance is even infecting the currency strength and credit standings of its strong neighbors...like Poland and Czech Republic.