- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
04 January 2012
An appeals court in Lago Agrio has ordered Chevron to pay $18.2 billion for widespread past oil pollution in the Amazon.
A previous ruling...from 19 years of litigation...ordered Chevron to pay $8.6bn...but the company refused...and also failed to apologize for the damage incurred by Texaco...as the court requested.
Chevron merged with Texaco in 2001.
Experts say Chevron will appeal...with the case dragging on for years.
Chevron calls the new judgement "illegitimate" and "a fraud".
Some expect the eventual settlement to be $2-3 billion.
The company is experiencing some painful months.
It was recently slapped by Brasil...with a $28 million fine...ordered to stop work...and faces more fines...up to $20 billion...for a 3,000 bbl oil spill in the promising deep water Frade field off Rio's coast.
Chevron's handling of that small spill was severely criticized...with many charges bandied about.
Chevron reportedly delayed the spill announcement...and held a Rio press conference...in English...not Portuguese...insulting the Brasilians.
Some even claim Chevron altered video evidence....and lacked necessary safety equipment.
A criminal investigation is underway.