- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
27 December 2011
The ECB set a troubling new deposit record for cash deposits...412bn euros/ $539bn...as nervous banks seem to prefer parking their money with the ECB...than lending it to other banks.
The new total beat the June 2010 record of E384bn.
Many banks seemingly prefer to keep their cash with the ECB...though it only pays a miserly 0.25% interest rate...instead of getting higher returns by buying troubled southern European sovereign debt.
Spain's three-year sovereign debt goes for 3.6%...while Italy's yields 5.7%.