- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
27 December 2011
Despite a recent serious battle with cancer...and seeming re-embrace of spirituality... President Hugo Chavez appears unable to let go of a resentment against Judge Maria Lourdes Afiuni.
Chavez issued Christmas pardons for 141 prisoners...but not Afuini.
Afiuni has been imprisoned since 2009...for releasing a banker with opposition ties.
"In total 100 men and 41 women are getting out today, across the country. We must help them build a plan for life so they do not fall down again, because many of them have lost their direction," Chávez said.
Though now under house arrest...Afiuni was held until February in a Caracas prison where she was reportedly repeatedly threatened with death.
She is a single mother and also a cancer patient.