- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
08 February 2013
VENEZUELA : 09 Feb UPDATE: Caracas Finally Devalues Bolivar...By 32%.
The bolivar's devaluation has been expected for months...but President Chavez's renewed cancer challenge delayed it...until Friday.
For the 5th time...in 9 years...Caracas finally weakened its exchange rate...this time...by 32%...to 6.3 bolivares per usd.
It had been 4.3 per usd.
Officials say President Chavez ordered the adjustment from La Habana.
The devaluation will help lower the nation's budget deficit...greatly increased during a presidential pre-election spending splurge.
Observers say it will give Caracas $13.4 billion more in revenue from oil sales...and could reduce the deficit by 50%.
Some experts expect more adjustments.
On the black market...the website Lechuga Verde reports the bolivar dropped to 19.53 per usd.