- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
23 December 2011
Rio state's prosecutors are threatening to indict executives of Chevron and Transocean after a recent 3,000 bbl oil leak in its offshore Frade field.
They also seek to shut all operations and levy fines of $10.8bn.
“Depending on the measures that the government may take, it would make oil exploration in Brasil much more expensive,” said a Rio expert.
Oil execs call Rio's actions...an 'overreaction.'
“I’m a little surprised by the stance that you’re seeing in Brasil, largely because it’s so excessive, potentially, that you could put a very big chill on foreign investment in the deep water,” said a USA fund manager.
"Unlike the BP incident in the Gulf, this year’s Brasilian and Chinese spills are within the normal range of oil industry accidents,' claims a geologist.