- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
27 November 2011
T.WILKINSON, K. ELLINGWOOD
3 screen read...combined
Some observers claim narco money laundered in Mexico could be $50 billion...about equal to 3% of its GDP...and more than oil exports.
While the government has expanded the marines and army roles fighting narco violence... experts say it has woefully lagged in fighting money laundering.
"Without question, we have been at fault," Calderon admits. "The truth is that the existing structures for detecting money-laundering were simply overwhelmed by reality."
"If you don't take away their property, winning this war is impossible," said Sen. Ricardo Garcia Cervantes. "You are not going to win this war with bullets."
NEW!!! Part 2 of series. Few consequences/sanctions for convicted blacklisters.