- BULGARIA / RUSSIA : Moscow Hits Sofia With $1.3 Billion Claim For Failed Nuke.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA/ FRANCE : Actor Depardieu Parties With Dictator Kadyrov.
- MEXICO / USA: Despite Violence, Border Factories Bloom.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
27 November 2011
T.WILKINSON, K. ELLINGWOOD
3 screen read...combined
Some observers claim narco money laundered in Mexico could be $50 billion...about equal to 3% of its GDP...and more than oil exports.
While the government has expanded the marines and army roles fighting narco violence... experts say it has woefully lagged in fighting money laundering.
"Without question, we have been at fault," Calderon admits. "The truth is that the existing structures for detecting money-laundering were simply overwhelmed by reality."
"If you don't take away their property, winning this war is impossible," said Sen. Ricardo Garcia Cervantes. "You are not going to win this war with bullets."
NEW!!! Part 2 of series. Few consequences/sanctions for convicted blacklisters.