- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- CHINA: Off Topic But Interesting: Ai WeiWei...Rebel Artist...With A Cause.
01 November 2011
Even as PM George Papandreou loses support in his own party and faces the collapse of his government...he is calling for a January national referendum...that has sent shock waves throughout the world's markets...driving down the euro.
Papandreou claims he needs wider political backing for the E130bn/$181 billion bailout.
"We trust citizens, we believe in their judgment, we believe in their decision," Prime Minister George Papandreou told his party members.
Recent polls there show 59% of the population against another bailout with its new austerity measures.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel called for emergency meeting with him in Cannes.
European politicians are said to be in total shock...by the Greek PM's surprise announcement.
A Greek businessman said: "I think this referendum will not happen. I'm hoping and praying for a government that will join other political forces."
“If it continues with Papandreou and the referendum, we will end up with a default and the default will push us into the drachma,” said former Greek Finance Minister Stefanos Manos.
Nobel economist Christopher Pissarides said, "If there is a 'no' vote, Greece would immediately declare bankruptcy. I do not see how Greece could remain in the euro."
ALSO: The reasoning behind Papandreou's sudden shocking decision. He reportedly felt isolated. An unnamed aide says: "This is his final stand. He feels systematically undermined from within so he decided to expose it all to a public discussion. He has decided to take on all sorts of special interests and has declared all-out war."