- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- CHINA: Off Topic But Interesting: Ai WeiWei...Rebel Artist...With A Cause.
12 November 2011
BRASIL: 17 Nov UPDATE: Police Begin Probe As Chevron Plugs Frade Well After Spill...Off Rio's Coast; China Buys 30% Of GALP's Offshore Oil Assets For $5.2bn.
Are Rio's world famous beaches in danger from an oil spill?
Not yet...from the most recent spill off its coast.
Because...Chevron has plugged a new exploration well off Rio's coast in the Frade field.
Chevron had claimed the amount of oil released was only between 400-650 bbls daily.
Initially...it reported 10 times LESS oil was released.
Federal police have begun an investigation of the leak...saying that Chevron's claims don't match the reality of the spill...and claiming as much as 900 bbls daily were released.
Killing the new well may cost Chevron hundreds of millions.
The Frade field began production in 2009 and averages 80,000 bbls daily.
The well is located 230 miles/370 km northeast of Rio De Janeiro in 3,800 feet/1,200 meters of water...in the much hyped pre-Salt fields.
AND: China refiner Sinopec agreed to buy 30% of GALP's Brasil offshore oil reserves for $5.2bn...its 2nd big investment in the pre-Salt fields there in 2 years.