- CHINA / ENVIRONMENT: Beijing Sets New Standard For...Dense Deadly Smog.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL: More Headaches For Dilma : Her VP's In-Law On Playboy Cover...And Chief Aide's Dubious Payment.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- POLAND: C.Bank To Strengthen Zloty By Selling Euros.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- BRASIL: Rio Debates Squatters And Slums After Tragic Landslides.
- RUSSIA : Drunk's Death Scene Dance...Goes Viral...Offends Many.
- USA / FASHION / IMAGES: 3D Animal T-Shirts...Standout.
21 April 2013
PARAGUAY / BRASIL : 24 April UPDATE: Conservative Cartes Wins Presidency; Narco Business Booms On The Border; Historical Analysis Of Colorado Party.
Conservative Colorado Party candidate...millionaire novice politician Horacio Cartes, 56...won Sunday's presidential election.
His powerful Colorado Party controlled Paraguay for 61 years.
Cartes defeated 50-year-old lawyer Liberal Party Efrain Alegre by 9%...even after Cartes was labelled a homophobe...and accused of tax evasion, currency fraud and having narco connections.
Cartes has interests in 25 companies.
The only leftist candidate...former army chief Lino Oviedo died in February in a helicopter crash.
Cartes replaces interim President Federico Franco.
Franco took office after former Catholic Bishop and leftist President Fernando Lugo...was forced out by impeachment in just 48 hours in June 2012...following a deadly riot over land ownership that killed 17...including 6 police.
Leftist Latin American leaders called Lugo's ouster...a congressional golpe.
TO READ ALSO: Narco traffic and violence growing in Paraguay.
!!!NEWEST!!! Analysis: Historic look at Colorado Party control.