- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
13 January 2012
CUBA / USA / GERMANY : 14 Jan UPDATE: Che Guevara Display In Las Vegas Upsets Miami; Sen. Menendez Blasts Daimler.
The Germans had no clue.
Daimler...which makes Mercedes-Benz...has soundly pissed-off some Cuban-Americans and others for using "Che" Guevara's image...to promote their cars at the important annual CES show in Las Vegas.
But perhaps...too late.
Guevara is highly radioactive in the Cuban American community.
"I do not understand how a company like Mercedes-Benz, which sells luxury cars, can use a figure of a man who preached class struggle ... who preached violence and bloodshed and wanted to do away with capitalism and establish socialism," said one Miami Cuban.
New Jersey Democratic Senator Robert Menendez joined in blasting Daimler.
"Che in essence was a murderer...and he hated the USA. You want to sell your products in the USA and you use that?", he said.
Cubans have shown that they can hold a grudge.
Just consider their feelings about Fidel Castro.
Still loathed...nay...hated...after 53 years.
When I first went to Cuba in 1996...like so many tourists...I bought a tee with Che's famous image on it.
After reading about the hundreds...perhaps thousands of Cubans that Che had executed... sent 'a la pared'/to the wall...I never wore that shirt again.