- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
13 January 2012
CUBA / USA / GERMANY : 14 Jan UPDATE: Che Guevara Display In Las Vegas Upsets Miami; Sen. Menendez Blasts Daimler.
The Germans had no clue.
Daimler...which makes Mercedes-Benz...has soundly pissed-off some Cuban-Americans and others for using "Che" Guevara's image...to promote their cars at the important annual CES show in Las Vegas.
But perhaps...too late.
Guevara is highly radioactive in the Cuban American community.
"I do not understand how a company like Mercedes-Benz, which sells luxury cars, can use a figure of a man who preached class struggle ... who preached violence and bloodshed and wanted to do away with capitalism and establish socialism," said one Miami Cuban.
New Jersey Democratic Senator Robert Menendez joined in blasting Daimler.
"Che in essence was a murderer...and he hated the USA. You want to sell your products in the USA and you use that?", he said.
Cubans have shown that they can hold a grudge.
Just consider their feelings about Fidel Castro.
Still loathed...nay...hated...after 53 years.
When I first went to Cuba in 1996...like so many tourists...I bought a tee with Che's famous image on it.
After reading about the hundreds...perhaps thousands of Cubans that Che had executed... sent 'a la pared'/to the wall...I never wore that shirt again.