- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
09 December 2011
After 6 long years of negotiations...and 10 years after application...in just 18 months...Croatia will become the 28th member of the EU.
It signed an agreement in Brussels ending its long quest to join the trading block.
The agreement will also provide hundreds of millions of euros in aid.
“It is a day of joy for Croatia, a day of joy for the EU as a whole,” said EU President Herman van Rompuy. “Croatian achievements show everyone in the region that with hard work, persistence and courage, membership in the EU is within the reach.”
“Croatia had to overcome war to join the European Union, and that is not only a Croatian triumph, but the triumph of European peacemaking,” said Croatian President Ivo Josipovic.
Croatia will officially join the EU on July 1, 2013,