- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- SERBIA / HUMOR : TV Show Pranks PM...With X Rated View.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
27 December 2011
A $7mn giant escalator that links hilly Medellin's most dangerous district...Comuna 13... with the valley...is nearly finished...and just inaugurated.
It gives the hillside's 12,000 residents free access to 1,260 feet of movable stairs...equal to a 28-story building.
It will cut travel time from 30 minutes...to about 5 minutes...and also allow police quicker and easier access.
Officials from Rio de Janeiro are said to be following Medellin's success...because of its many hillside slums.