- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
18 November 2011
President Hugo Chavez has ordered 3,200 national guard troops into the streets of Caracas and the states of Vargas and Miranda to fight surging crime.
The troops are under a new command...called the People's Guard.
Last week...Chavez was publicly embarrassed by 2 high profile kidnappings.
A Chilean consul was taken in Caracas and beaten for 2 hours in the very common secuestros express...just days after the high profile USA athlete Wilson Ramos was kidnapped and held for 2 days...near Valencia.
Some experts claim Venezuela averages 3 kidnappings...daily.
Reported kidnappings increased from 52 in 1998...to 618 in 2009.
But a watchdog group claims...more than 16,000...were kidnapped that year.
Chavez is already running for re-election in 2012...and rampant crime under his regime is seen as his major challenging issue.
FOR MORE Details on kidnappings, See: