- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
29 March 2011
BRASIL / PORTUGAL: 30 Mar. UPDATE: Lula Cautions Lisboa: Don't Take Bail-out!; New S/P Downgrade Just Above Junk; Dilma May Aid Former Colonial Power By Buying Debt.
Brasil's ex-president Lula da Silva is warning Portugese pols NOT to take an IMF bail-out...even as Standard and Poor's downgraded Lisboa's debt...to just one notch above a junk rating.
Lula said: "The IMF won't resolve Portugal's problem, like it didn't solve Brasil's. Whenever the IMF tried to take care of countries' debts, it created more problems than solutions."
Lula has long criticized the IMF for espousing "orthodox and recessive concepts."
Meanwhile, outgoing PM Jose Socrates (pictured hugging Lula) insisted again that his government "is determined not to ask" for a bailout. "I'm sick of saying we won't."
UPDATE: Brasil President Dilma Rousseff is studying ways to help Portugal...either by buying its new debt offerings...or even by buying back some of the debt it currently owns.
Brasil escaped Portugal's control in 1822. Its economy is now almost 10 times larger than Portugal's.