- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
29 March 2011
BRASIL / PORTUGAL: 30 Mar. UPDATE: Lula Cautions Lisboa: Don't Take Bail-out!; New S/P Downgrade Just Above Junk; Dilma May Aid Former Colonial Power By Buying Debt.
Brasil's ex-president Lula da Silva is warning Portugese pols NOT to take an IMF bail-out...even as Standard and Poor's downgraded Lisboa's debt...to just one notch above a junk rating.
Lula said: "The IMF won't resolve Portugal's problem, like it didn't solve Brasil's. Whenever the IMF tried to take care of countries' debts, it created more problems than solutions."
Lula has long criticized the IMF for espousing "orthodox and recessive concepts."
Meanwhile, outgoing PM Jose Socrates (pictured hugging Lula) insisted again that his government "is determined not to ask" for a bailout. "I'm sick of saying we won't."
UPDATE: Brasil President Dilma Rousseff is studying ways to help Portugal...either by buying its new debt offerings...or even by buying back some of the debt it currently owns.
Brasil escaped Portugal's control in 1822. Its economy is now almost 10 times larger than Portugal's.