- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- HUMOR : Horrible Yearbook FOTOS Unearthed.
- RUSSIA : Wanted For 15 Years...Cop Turned Serial Killer...Caught In Vladivostok.
- MEXICO / AZERBAIJAN : 26 Jan UPDATE: Controversial Azeri Statue Moved To Seedy Warehouse; Baku Is Still Upset.
- RUSSIA : Drunk's Death Scene Dance...Goes Viral...Offends Many.
- GERMANY / FRANCE / SHIPPING / IMAGES : World's Largest Container Ship Docks In Hamburg.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
11 March 2013
MEXICO : 12 Mar UPDATE: Congress Finally Moves To Break-up Phone, TV Monopolies; Slim's Stock Nears 2009 Low.
IST LINK CHANGE
Mexico's ruling party has introduced a bill to break-up companies that control more than 50% of phone or TV services.
It aims to improve competition in the $30 billion annual communications sector...and lower consumer prices.
The bill also creates a new...and possibly...better regulator.
Mexico has long been dominated by monopolies...that prefer to delay and weaken enforcement...with court challenges.
The question is...will the bill pass...be fully implemented and effective?
President Pena Nieto must also sell it to a Congress where his PRI party lacks a majority.
The world's richest man worth $73 billion...Carlos Slim Helu...runs America Movil... which thru Telmex controls 80% of Mexico's land lines...and 70% of the cellphone business as well.
The WSJ reports that Slim's family owns 40% of America Movil.
America Movil's stock recently touched its lowest price since 2009...because of the proposed bill...and weak results from its Europe telecoms.
But...seasoned bargain-hunter Slim has been buying-up America Movil stock during its decline.