- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- RUSSIA : Siberian Cult Leader Rudnev Jailed For Raping Dozens Of Followers.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- UKRAINE : Thousands Protest In Kyiv For Yulia, Against Yanukovych; Some Injured In Clashes.
- ANIMALS / HUMOR / IMAGES : Cats: Love Them Or Hate Them; Website Now Lets Owners Shame Them.
- COSTA RICA / PERU / COLOMBIA : 17 May UPDATE : 2 More Aides Resign After Prez. Chinchilla Comes Under Fire For Free Flights On Alleged Narco Jet; Key Minister Resigns Over Flight From Bogus Person.
- MEXICO : Shocking Details Emerge About Mayor's Abduction Before Execution; 19 Bodies Found In Chihuahua State.
- MEXICO: Telenovela Star's Assistant Charged With 4 Counts Of Attempted Murder.
11 March 2013
MEXICO : 12 Mar UPDATE: Congress Finally Moves To Break-up Phone, TV Monopolies; Slim's Stock Nears 2009 Low.
IST LINK CHANGE
Mexico's ruling party has introduced a bill to break-up companies that control more than 50% of phone or TV services.
It aims to improve competition in the $30 billion annual communications sector...and lower consumer prices.
The bill also creates a new...and possibly...better regulator.
Mexico has long been dominated by monopolies...that prefer to delay and weaken enforcement...with court challenges.
The question is...will the bill pass...be fully implemented and effective?
President Pena Nieto must also sell it to a Congress where his PRI party lacks a majority.
The world's richest man worth $73 billion...Carlos Slim Helu...runs America Movil... which thru Telmex controls 80% of Mexico's land lines...and 70% of the cellphone business as well.
The WSJ reports that Slim's family owns 40% of America Movil.
America Movil's stock recently touched its lowest price since 2009...because of the proposed bill...and weak results from its Europe telecoms.
But...seasoned bargain-hunter Slim has been buying-up America Movil stock during its decline.