- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
- UKRAINE / EU / RUSSIA : Pressure Builds On Yanukovych; Yulia's Treatment Is Euro 2012 PR Blunder; Putin Backs Kyiv.
- RUSSIA / AZERBAIJAN / DENMARK / EUROVISION 2013 / IMAGES: 21 May UPDATE: Moscow Outraged By Azeri Vote Problems; Denmark Won Finals...That Featured Lesbian Kiss; Germans Blame Poor Showing On Merkel.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- AUSTRALIA / USA : USA Navy Resumes Ship Sinking Exercises.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
- MEXICO/ USA : 11 Oct. UPDATE: Navy Admits Killing Top Zetas Leader Lazcano...Was Accident; 'La Ardilla' Smirks Over His Arrest For Falcon Lake Murder; Analysis Of Calderon's 'Kill The Capos' Plan.
- UKRAINE / GERMANY : Official Blasts Hotels...As 'Bandits And Thieves'...Over Euro 2012 Housing Costs; Movie About Legendary Nazi Football Defeat Worries Officials.
31 January 2013
CYPRUS / EUROZONE / RUSSIA / IMF : Tiny Island Delivers Big Worries.
Some currency traders predict the euro will hit $1.40 vs the usd in 2013...before retreating.
The euro is currently hovering around the $1.36 level.
The Eurozone's troubles seem to be receding.
Until...the little island of Cyprus came along. Again.
It desperately needs a bailout.
At least...10 billion euros to mend its banking system...and 7.5 bn euros for operations and debts.
It has been begging for money since June last year.
But 17.5 billion euros almost equals its 18 billion GDP.
How could it ever repay the loans?
And...there's the nagging Russian problem.
Rich Russian nationals love to visit...and bank in Cyprus.
They may also be laundering their fortunes thru its very amenable banks.
Germany especially is reportedly uncomfortable with Moscow's close ties to Nicosia.
The Cyprus FinMin expects Russian investors will extend their 2.5 bn euro/$3.4 bn loan...due in 2016...to 2022.