- RUSSIA : Court Sets One Pussy Rioter Free; Fame Brings 70 Year Closure For Eurovision Folk Singer.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- UZBEKISTAN: 23 Aug UPDATE: GooGoosha Responds To Critics; Ruthless Dictator's Daughter Seeks Fame With Pop Career.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- RUSSIA / CZECH REP : 30 Dec UPDATE: Probe Begins Of Moscow Plane Crash That Killed 5, Injured 3.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- ARGENTINA: Bond Appeal Surging On Exports And Debt Restructure; Beating Ukraine For Yield For Now.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
04 April 2013
CHICAGO / USA / CINEMA : 05 April UPDATE: Stars Praise Deceased Film Critic Roger Ebert.
Chicagoan Roger Ebert...the USA's most famous film critic...is dead at age 70.
The prolific newspaperman turned TV personality...had fought cancer since 2002.
Despite many surgeries...after 2006...the disease ate away his lower jaw...preventing him from consuming foods, liquids and speaking.
He announced just last week that cancer had spread to his femur.
Ebert won a Pulitzer Prize for commentary in 1976...wrote 20 books...and until 2006...appeared on a popular weekly syndicated film review program.
He became famous for popularizing the use of a 'thumb up' to recommend a movie.
In 1976...with rival newspaper critic Gene Siskel...he first co-hosted a weekly movie review program on Chicago's public TV station...that was later syndicated nationwide...and ran in various versions...for 31 years.
Ebert became an avid blogger/tweeter...and continued writing films reviews for the financially troubled Chicago Sun Times...his employer since 1967...and over 200 newspapers...until last week.