- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- VENEZUELA: Growing As Hub For Drug Shipments.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- ARGENTINA: Bond Appeal Surging On Exports And Debt Restructure; Beating Ukraine For Yield For Now.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
12 December 2011
More proof that the entire eurozone is extremely skittish.
With the trappings of an old-fashioned depression-era bank run...rumors of financial and legal problems rife on social networks...had more than 10,000 Latvians withdrawing their funds from Swedish-owned Swedbank...an estimated 10mn Lats/$19mn...so far.
Swedbank chief executive Maris Macinskis called the rumors "absurd".
Swedbank has deposits of 1.6bn Lats/$3.1bn in Latvia...about 40% of its assets.
Spreading false rumors is a criminal offense in Latvia...punishable with two years in jail.