- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
18 February 2013
ECUADOR : President Correa Sweeps To Victory.
Surprising nobody...President Rafael Correa, 49...scored a landslide victory...winning the preliminary count...with 56.7% of 11.6 million votes...and earning a 3rd term.
With 7 candidates...the vote for the 4-year term was badly split.
Correa's closest competitor...conservative banker Guillermo Lasso...garnered 23.3%.
By winning by more than 50%...Correa avoided a run-off.
In 6 years...he has reduced poverty, increased health care and education...while improving nearly 5,000 miles of roads and providing over 95,000 jobs.
He is also the only president to complete his term in the past 20 years.
Now Correa must win back foreign investors and companies to exploit Ecuador's moribund oil production and mining opportunities.
They abandoned his nation after it defaulted on $3.2 billion in debts in 2008.
Only China continues to invest in Ecuador...mainly for its oil resources.