- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- VENEZUELA: Growing As Hub For Drug Shipments.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- BRASIL / ITALY / GUATEMALA / USA / RUSSIA: 1 Dead, 7 Injured In Rio Fuel Tanks Fires/ Blasts; Ruby Heartstealer Admits Lying About Silvio's Sex Parties, Money; Ex-Prez Alfonso Portillo Extradited To USA For Money Laundering; Moscow Bans VKontakte By 'Mistake.'
18 February 2013
ECUADOR : President Correa Sweeps To Victory.
Surprising nobody...President Rafael Correa, 49...scored a landslide victory...winning the preliminary count...with 56.7% of 11.6 million votes...and earning a 3rd term.
With 7 candidates...the vote for the 4-year term was badly split.
Correa's closest competitor...conservative banker Guillermo Lasso...garnered 23.3%.
By winning by more than 50%...Correa avoided a run-off.
In 6 years...he has reduced poverty, increased health care and education...while improving nearly 5,000 miles of roads and providing over 95,000 jobs.
He is also the only president to complete his term in the past 20 years.
Now Correa must win back foreign investors and companies to exploit Ecuador's moribund oil production and mining opportunities.
They abandoned his nation after it defaulted on $3.2 billion in debts in 2008.
Only China continues to invest in Ecuador...mainly for its oil resources.