- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- MEXICO : Tulum Called New 'Hot Spot' For Fashionistas And Celebs.
- POLAND: Godson Becomes 1st Black MP.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- HUMOR : Horrible Yearbook FOTOS Unearthed.
- RUSSIA : Drunk's Death Scene Dance...Goes Viral...Offends Many.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- CUBA: Wife Of U.S. Prisoner Pleads For His Release.
- PANAMA : 24 Oct UPDATE: Prez Martinelli Will Scrap Colon Land Sale Law...After 3 Deaths; Martinelli Wants To Adopt Euro.
- GERMANY / FRANCE / SHIPPING / IMAGES : World's Largest Container Ship Docks In Hamburg.
05 December 2011
PERU: Mine Opponents Feel Betrayed After Humala Declares State Of Emergency In 4 Provinces Over Conga Mine Protests.
Under pressure from his first real major controversy...new President Ollanta Humala has declared a 60-day state of emergency in 4 northern provinces...as 11 days of protests over the proposed $4.8bn Conga gold mine in Cajamarca have worsened...leaving some injured...and property damaged.
The declaration allows security forces to restrict right of assembly, make arrests without warrants and restore services during protests.
Humala also blamed local officials for the continuing impasse.
The protesters and some officials say they feel betrayed by Humala's declaration...because they had already halted a strike...and agreed to negotiations.