- BULGARIA / RUSSIA : Moscow Hits Sofia With $1.3 Billion Claim For Failed Nuke.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- MEXICO / USA : Wanted Narco Billionaire's 'Daughter' Arrested In San Diego.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA/ FRANCE : Actor Depardieu Parties With Dictator Kadyrov.
- MEXICO : Gulfo Narco Boss 'El Coss' Caught In Tampico; Arrested Pozos Gonzalez Proud Of Golden AK-47.
- MEXICO / USA: Despite Violence, Border Factories Bloom.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
05 December 2011
PERU: Mine Opponents Feel Betrayed After Humala Declares State Of Emergency In 4 Provinces Over Conga Mine Protests.
Under pressure from his first real major controversy...new President Ollanta Humala has declared a 60-day state of emergency in 4 northern provinces...as 11 days of protests over the proposed $4.8bn Conga gold mine in Cajamarca have worsened...leaving some injured...and property damaged.
The declaration allows security forces to restrict right of assembly, make arrests without warrants and restore services during protests.
Humala also blamed local officials for the continuing impasse.
The protesters and some officials say they feel betrayed by Humala's declaration...because they had already halted a strike...and agreed to negotiations.