- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- SERBIA / HUMOR : TV Show Pranks PM...With X Rated View.
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
05 December 2011
PERU: Mine Opponents Feel Betrayed After Humala Declares State Of Emergency In 4 Provinces Over Conga Mine Protests.
Under pressure from his first real major controversy...new President Ollanta Humala has declared a 60-day state of emergency in 4 northern provinces...as 11 days of protests over the proposed $4.8bn Conga gold mine in Cajamarca have worsened...leaving some injured...and property damaged.
The declaration allows security forces to restrict right of assembly, make arrests without warrants and restore services during protests.
Humala also blamed local officials for the continuing impasse.
The protesters and some officials say they feel betrayed by Humala's declaration...because they had already halted a strike...and agreed to negotiations.