- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- COLOMBIA : Top Pop Singer Shakira...Sued By Ex-Novio...For $100 Million.
- VENEZUELA: Growing As Hub For Drug Shipments.
- USA / SOCIAL MEDIA / GUN CULTURE: Santa Leaves Heat As Xmas Treats.
- ART / HUMOR / SPAIN : 27 August UPDATE: Clever Jokers Post Their 'Restored' Versions Of Famous Images.
- URUGUAY: Foreigners Rush To Buy Farm Land.
- UKRAINE : 27 April UPDATE: Barbie Doll Looking Model...Defends Appearance.
- RUSSIA : Miss Russia Defends Pussy Riot Punkers; 4 Detained After Small Moscow Pussy Riot Protest.
- MEXICO: Police Investigating Death of Young American Woman.
- MEXICO: The Growing Number Of Narco Women.
05 December 2011
PERU: Mine Opponents Feel Betrayed After Humala Declares State Of Emergency In 4 Provinces Over Conga Mine Protests.
Under pressure from his first real major controversy...new President Ollanta Humala has declared a 60-day state of emergency in 4 northern provinces...as 11 days of protests over the proposed $4.8bn Conga gold mine in Cajamarca have worsened...leaving some injured...and property damaged.
The declaration allows security forces to restrict right of assembly, make arrests without warrants and restore services during protests.
Humala also blamed local officials for the continuing impasse.
The protesters and some officials say they feel betrayed by Humala's declaration...because they had already halted a strike...and agreed to negotiations.