14 February 2011

MONDAY MORNING MUSIC: From ITALY: Carmen Consoli: Fiori d'arancio.

YOUTUBE: B/W Music Video/ 3:34/ Fiori d'arancio/Orange Flower/ Carmen Consoli/
A bittersweet and somewhat strange video - perfect for VDay/

   Today is Valentine's Day in the USA.
    More than half the visitors to this blog come from countries other than the USA and may not suffer from the inherent pressures of Valentine's.
    I know it only came to be celebrated in Poland after the fall of communism.
   So for recent visitors here from Beijing and Iran, it may be a complete mystery. You are fortunate!
  When I lived in Cuba, it was barely mentioned.
     I have ambivalent feelings about it.
     Good for rose growers Colombia and Ecuador.
     But it feels like commercial and cultural extortion to me.
     In fact, the only time in Cuba I indulged in it, I presented my wife with a big bowl filled with magnificent smelling floating white gardenias. She was noticeably unenthused...and I was disappointed. What's wrong? I asked.
  She said you can eat these flowers... but they'll still leave you hungry.
  Instead, she preferred some frozen plump turkey drumsticks for her family... from the hard currency store.
   Noted.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Consoli.