- EU / CROATIA : Zagreb Now Set To Become EU Member #28...In 2013.
- PHILIPPINES /USA : Stranded US Naval Warship Finally Dismantled.
- COSTA RICA: Currency Intervention Predicted As Colon Surges Vs USD.
- ITALY: 12 Dec UPDATE: Is Silvio's 'Friend'...Key Sex Trial Witness Ruby The Heart Stealer...On The Run? Ruby Finally Surfaces...In Mexico!
- PERU: Sand Fly Bite...Morphs Into Horror Story For American.
- SERBIA / LIBYA : Are Serbian Mercenary Pilots Bombing Protestors In Tripoli?
- BRASIL : Dilma Wins Port Privatization Approval From Congress.
- MUSIC FOR MONDAY: From SWEDEN / AZERBAIJAN : Eurovision Winner Loreen Sings "Euphoria."
- GUATEMALA : Court Throws Out Rios Montt Genocide Conviction; Trial Restart Ordered.
- VENEZUELA :6 March UPDATE: Shooting At Caracas Opposition Rally Wounds Capriles Supporter.
11 December 2011
With a cabinet of 19...10 new ministers were sworn-in by President Ollanta Humala...after PM Salomon Lerner (above) unexpectedly resigned.
Under law...his departure forced Humala's entire cabinet to step down.
Lerner ran Humala's successful presidential campaign.
Observers speculate that Lerner's inability to settle the ongoing $4.8bn Conga gold mine protest may be a reason for the abrupt departure.
Some believe Lerner's conciliatory approach on Conga and 200 other social disputes may be replaced with a harder line...because the new PM is ex-military officer Interior Minister Oscar Valdes.