27 June 2011

MONDAY MORNING MUSIC: Back To The Roots: Brasil...With Dorival Caymmi And Tom Jobim.

YOUTUBE  3:12 


Today M3 returns to its roots. Brasil.

When searching YouTube for something by the legendary Dorival Caymmi...one of Brasil's greatest songwriters...not much is available.
Caymmi wrote many samba standards...and many ballads about Bahia's fearless fishermen...before he died in 2008 at age 94!

I was playing DJ/newscaster at Stanford's radio station KZSU when I happened upon a Caymmi album.
It literally changed my life. A decade later...at the end of a tumultuous romance, I quit my job at a TV station...and moved to Brasil to explore it...mostly because of Caymmi's music.
I have never regretted it.

Here is a lovely, quiet duet by two of Brasil's music giants...Tom Jobin and Dorival Caymmi...singing Caymmi's classic "Saudade da Bahia"/Longing For Bahia.